Staff Spotlight: Terry Kibui, Hospitality Program Manager

Akilah prides itself on developing strong, skilled women leaders. But behind every great leader is a great teacher. In our “Staff Spotlight” series, we ask instructors and staff what inspires them about the work they do.

Terry Kibui oversees programming for Akilah’s Diploma in Hospitality Management. Terry strives to set an example for students both inside and outside the classroom. Following a successful career in hotel management and operations, Terry opted to follow her passion for teaching and joined Akilah in 2014 as a Hospitality Management instructor.

I used to work in a hotel in Kigali, and whenever we needed to hire new staff, people would direct me to Akilah. As soon as I came to campus and met the students, I was impressed. They were so confident. This idea of empowering women through education and confidence attracted me, so I knew I had to work here.

We can see in class how focused our students are. For them, it is not just about getting their diploma. They want to be someone important in their community, someone who can build their career, support their family. That also means that they ask much more from us in class — they ask critical questions, they challenge us on the things we teach them. You can see they want to get the most out of their time here.

“That also means that they ask much more from us in class — they ask critical questions, they challenge us on the things we teach them.”

We talk a lot to our students about appearances. People still judge you the first time they meet you. If you don’t give a good impression, people will put you off. We need to lead the way and show our students that they also need to develop their character. Be good at the small things that make you stand out.

I try to be a good role model for them outside the classroom too. In the society we live in, we know all the labels women can get. I’m a strong feminist — I want to make my own decisions and not depend on someone else. Being a role model is not just a matter of teaching them about hospitality but also how we behave in front of them.

Today in the hospitality industry, most management positions are dominated by men — not just in Rwanda but worldwide. The whole point of what we do is to see women moving into managerial positions in these big hotel chains, restaurants, and tourism companies. In my opinion, women are actually better leaders than men. We still bring compassion into our work. It’s not just about making money — it’s about making people feel happy and welcome.

Some of our students who graduated a few years ago are moving into managerial roles in some of the big hotel chains now. I can’t wait to see how more of our graduates will rise to top levels in the industry within the next few years. It’s already starting. Just wait a few years, and they will be on top, I have no doubt.